Getting started with SportsPress themes
Step 1. Download and install the theme
- Download the theme by following the link provided in your confirmation email. This will be sent to the email you used when purchasing the theme. If you did not receive an email from us, please submit a ticket and we’ll be happy to assist you.
- Log in to the WordPress Administration Panel.
- Select the Appearance panel, then Themes.
- Select Install Themes
- Click on the Upload link near the top
- Click Choose File and locate the zip file downloaded in step 1, then click Install Now
- The theme will be uploaded and should automatically be installed. Once this is done, click on the Preview link to preview the Theme or the Activate link to activate the theme on your site.
Step 2. Install & Activate SportsPress
To install SportsPress, go to the Plugins page and activate the SportsPress plugin. You can also download the free plugin directly.
Follow the SportsPress documentation to set up your Events, Calendars, League Tables, Players & Staff.
Step 3. Set up the homepage
- Go to Pages > Add New to create your homepage.
- Give your homepage a name and change the template to “Home”
- Click Publish
- To set the front page of your website to the homepage you just created, go to Settings > Reading.
- Change your Front page displays to “A static page” and select the homepage you create
Step 4. Add widgets to your homepage
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Drag widgets to the Headline and/or Homepage section(s).
The Headline section is between the Header section and the Homepage section.
The Homepage section is the main area of the homepage.
Step 5. Customize the appearance of your website
- Go to Appearance > Customize.
- From this panel, you can do the following:
- Change the website tagline and title
- Upload your team logo
- Change the colors of your website
- Upload your own header and background images
Step 6. Create a custom menu
- Go to Appearance > Menus
- Give your custom menu a name
- Click the Create Menu button.
- Go to the Menu Settings and set it as the Primary Menu
- Select the pages and SportsPress post types you would like to add your menu
Note: To add SportsPress post types like Player Lists, League Tables, and Staff, click the “Screen Options” tab in the top right corner of the page and click on the post types to enable them.
Note: If you aren’t finding anything listed under your SportsPress post types, please be aware that you will need to add content (Playerlists, League Tables, Calendars, etc) if you want to include these post types in your menu.
- Click Save Menu
Step 7. Add a header image
- Go to Appearance > Header Image and upload a new image by uploading your image. The ideal size for a header image is 1920 x 1080 pixels (HD).
- Save changes
Note: Pages can have their own header images by uploading a featured image.